Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mommy had a little lamb


A friend of mine is having a baby in a few weeks, and I am so, so, so very excited for her. I agreed to make some desserts for her shower.

First, the cakes. I  I put together two 3-layer 8-inch round cakes, one with pink fondant and one with blue. She has a lamb theme going, so I put some lambs on the tops and the sides.
I again used bunnywoman's trusty marshmallow fondant recipe from the Wilton forum site. I halved the large batch recipe (8oz of marshmallows and 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar), which seemed to work well, although I would recommend still using 2 Tbsp. of water. This is another instance where I LOVE the dough hook on my Kitchenaid mixer - making fondant is such a pain without it and a breeze with it! I also recommend adding the coloring (I use Wilton gel in the small jars) to the melted marshmallow before adding the sugar - it saves a ton of kneading time.

And can I just say that when Wilton says their gel coloring is named pink, they really mean freaking bright electric super neon pink. I guess that more accurate description wouldn't fit on the jar. This lovely pastel pink color is called rose petal pink and was a much better choice. The blue is cornflower blue - both colors came in a boxed 4 pack, along with a peach and a sea green.


I've never piped words on to a cake before and I wasn't quite sure how to go about it. I was worried that if I freehanded it that the spacing would be off or I would run out of room. 

So I made a template in Word and printed that off. (I used wordart to create a 6.75" circle of round text). I placed it over the top of the cake and used a toothpick to prick through the paper to create tiny holes underneath. I then used the marks on the cake as a guide to pipe the frosting over the top (using a Wilton #5 tip.)


 For the boards, I took 3 round cake boards, used some packing tape to tape them together and then covered them in aluminum foil. I love how these cakes turn out and the beautiful mama-to-be seemed pleased as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment